The Olmstead Consumer Taskforce is currently accepting applications. Click the link below to apply online. If you prefer to fill the application out and either submit through email or U.S. Mail, there is a link to download a paper copy below as well. Both applications are accessible.
Applications are due February 8, 2017 by 5pm.
Taskforce Membership FAQs
Q: Who serves on the Taskforce?
A: The Taskforce has 21 voting members. The Taskforce by-laws require that 51% of the members be individuals with disabilities or family members of someone with a disability. Members include:
- Adults of any age with a disability
- Family members of individuals with disabilities
- Individuals who live or have lived in an institutional setting
- People who can represent the interests of older Iowans
- People who can represent the interests of children with disabilities
- Members of statewide advocacy organizations and others who advocate for the rights of individuals with disabilities
Q: What are Taskforce member responsibilities?
A: The success and impact of the Taskforce depends on the active participation of its members. Attending and participating in meetings is important, as is having a desire to engage with other members, state agency partners, and others to advocate for the necessary supports to make the vision of “a life in the community for everyone” possible. Taskforce members are asked to:
- Attend six day-long meetings a year either in person or by phone.
- Serve on a committee to continue the work of the Taskforce between meetings. Committees typically meet once between meetings by phone.
- Learn about local, state, and federal issues that impact people with disabilities.
- Ask questions, share information, and work with other Taskforce members to advise state agency partners and others on supports and programs that individuals with disabilities need to be able to live and thrive in the community.
Q: How often does the Taskforce meet?
A: The Taskforce meets six times a year in-person at the Pleasant Hill Public Library, which is located about 15 minutes east of downtown Des Moines. Meetings are held from 10am-3pm with a break for lunch.
Q: Are Taskforce members paid?
A: Taskforce members are volunteers. However, the Taskforce currently has funds to reimburse members for the costs of participating on the Taskforce, which includes:
- A $50 stipend for each full-day meeting
- Reimbursement for the costs of a personal attendant to accompany members to meetings if needed
- Travel costs including mileage, overnight stays, and meals
Want more information?
- Attend a meeting: All meetings are open to the public. If you are thinking about applying please join us at an upcoming meeting.
- Get in touch: Email or call Caitlin Owens (email@example.com) or (319)384-9376 with questions about the Taskforce or the application process.
- Explore our website: